Sunday, July 17, 2011

Kayaking On Three Lakes


My brother Sholom, and I went kayaking last week. The day trip took us into three different lakes, each with their own allure and beauty. The various sites seen along the way made for an interesting and constantly changing view. And, as if I could've asked for more, we had absolutely beautiful weather, with soft, cotton-candy clouds and bright sunlight that made everything I shot appear in vivid color. The day was magnificent.
From the car, we carried the two kayaks down to the waterfront at Paul Smith's College in the Adirondacks. After putting in at the waterfront, we paddled off straight into the middle of the lake, which is the beautiful Lower St. Regis. Because of a Wooden Boat Show going on at the college that day, there were many boats on the water, including a Chinese Junk and an odd two masted canoe-turned-sailboat. Heading towards the seemingly impenetrable wall of cattails and marshes at the far end, we found the winding waterway that leads to the second lake of the day, known as Spitfire Lake. In here we saw many beautiful and expensive looking houses, including, in one cove, five stone houses, which stuck out among all the other wooden Adirondack style houses. The farthest of these stone houses had a multi-level boathouse, also of stone that looked like a turret stolen from a medieval castle.
Also on Spitfire we passed by a big beautiful sailboat. Upon mentioning that he liked the boat, my brother learned from its owner (who was fishing from the land), "She looks pretty good for 113, eh?" Indeed she did.
From Spitfire, we paddled onward to Upper St. Regis, again through a channel, this one a slightly narrow waterway through the land itself. Upon reaching this third lake, we took a break, and while Sholom put his feet in the water and read a book, I relaxed and soaked up some sun.
When we headed back by the same route that we had come, I surprised myself when we got back to the car by being not very tired out at all. I was sure, upon beginning the day trip that I would be exhausted by the end, but I was okay! Well, that was my kayak ride through three lakes. It was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment