Thursday, July 15, 2010

The hike up Silver Lake Mountain


While on vacation up here in the Adirondacks (also where the Doodlebug is being built), my brother and I took a short hike up a mountain called Silver Lake Mountain. We've been doing more hiking than usual lately since according to Jewish law, right now we are in a period of the year called the Nine Days, during which we refrain from listening to music, having weddings, and participating in dangerous activities, like swimming, boating, etc. Therefore, having nothing else to do, my brother and I have been filling our time instead with 'land' activities, like hiking, playing tennis, and biking.
Well, while hiking up this mountain, we met a guy named Cedric. Really nice guy. He was carrying a massive pack (found out later it weighed about 55 lb.) on his back. We spoke to him for a while, and found out that he was on a really long hike. He works 6 months a year as a maintenance guy, and then the other 6 months he is a hiker. So he's been out here hiking day in and out for a number of weeks already.
Also on the trail, we found some blueberries growing along the trail, and we stopped now and then to pick some. Mmm... good! Nothing like organic blueberries. Now, although this hike was a short one, and the mountain was considerably shorter than a lot of other hikes we've done (the whole trail there and back was only about 1.8 miles), the mountain afforded some of the best views I've ever seen for hill that small. And we didn't only get panoramic views at the top! There were rocky outcroppings along the way up, and we stopped a few times to enjoy the view. If you are in the area, and manage to find time for this hike (not much is needed, mind you), I highly recommend it. For those of you who won't or can't hike the mountain, this is my video of our hike up Silver Lake Mountain.

5 comments:

  1. Dovid!!!!! yossi overlander here wazzzup? really missing your upbeat attitude over here so yeshivas a little boring....whats news with you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. deeeeeeeeezzzzz whats up !! hoyb from ukraine - that boat is looking hot man

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guys! What's goin on! Underwater, tell Gerden I say hi. But say it like I said it in a nice way :-)
    Hoyb, how you doin'? Thanks. It's actually finished already. I'm putting it in the water this week, after the nine days. Just gotta finish building that trailer for it.
    Yo you guys can keep tabs on me really well with this blog, no? Although, Yossi, not listening to good music might be an issue, but you could just mute it. Say hi to the frummies and all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. dez this music is unacceptable im gonna have to do something about it - lol. why dont you put up that video of you and your friends by purim or is it too long?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You mean the Purim Shpiels I was telling you about? I'm in the process of putting all four of them on YouTube. Part one of four for the first one is up already. But I can't post it on this blog. Read the premise at the side. Doesn't fit the criteria. But if I do make a different blog for the Purim Shpiels on their own, I'll be sure to let you know.

    ReplyDelete